Sunday, October 14, 2012
With this setting, you can flip the pieces around many different ways and what is shown in the picture won't be the way I sew together. I also may do a little applique someplace. We'll see. It's just about the right size for a tabletopper. Anyway, I decided to go shopping down in my basement in the batik section. Pulled some blacks - but not enough of some of the pieces that would have been really great. That is the thing when you mainly applique - you buy smaller pieces of fabric such as fat quarters. Then I got into the reds and purples. This is what I came up with and I used the other setting for making this piece. You make a strata (I think that is what it's called) using randomly placed cuts of the varying widths. That in turn is cut into the varying widths and then sewn together. Looks complicated - but this one was much easier than the one above.
Rainy, rainy weekend - which I don't mind unless it goes too long. Yesterday my main accomplishment was getting binding cut for the little batik wallhanging with the icicles and snowflakes and for my black, white and red quilt that Linda quilted for me. I really have a wrestling match applying binding on a big quilt. My set up is far from ideal but I manage to get it done. I have binding on two sides sewn on and will do the other two today.